Cross-referenced definitions take you from one entry to another with a simple tap on a word in the current entry.
Dictionary interface contains 5 powerful search options to find exactly what you need: headword, wildcard, full text search, as well as search for similar words and anagrams.
Full text search feature allows looking up words more efficiently throughout the whole dictionary content, including headwords, idioms and usage examples.
Use My View to choose how much information appears on your screen – hide IPA, example sentences, pictures, synonyms etc. – tap to show the full entry again.
Use OALD to understand what words mean, learn how to say them, and know how to use them.
With the OALD app you can:
• find over 185,000 words, phrases, and meanings - including 900 new words and meanings.
• trust the clear explanations and example sentences from the authoritative Oxford English Corpus.
Improve your pronunciation and get added listening practice
• Listen to real voice audio for words and example sentences, in both British and American English accents
• Access the high-quality audio online, or download all 116,000 sentences to listen offline
• Practise your pronunciation by listening to the audio, recording your own voice and playing it back to compare
Expand your vocabulary and produce more natural sounding English
• Learn synonyms, collocations (words which go together) and everyday expressions
• Learn the Oxford 3000 - the most important words to know in English
• Use colour illustrations to enrich your vocabulary
• Search for and study phrasal verbs and idioms
• Learn lists of related vocabulary with pre-loaded Favourites folders
Navigate quickly to find exactly what you want
• Use Full Text Search to find your word in any idiom, phrasal verb, or example sentence in the dictionary
• Tap any word in an entry to instantly look it up
• Look up words directly from many popular apps, such as Safari
Organise and personalize your favourite entries
• create lists of your Favourites, and create folders and subfolders to store them
• export your Favourite lists and History list
Oxford Learner’s Dictionary of Academic English (OLDAE) has won the 2015 British Council ELTon award for Innovation in Learner Resources. The award is for the print + CD-ROM edition and the iOS app and was presented at a ceremony in London on 4 June.